By Panay News
GBP receives Silver Anvil Award for its Adopt-A-Health Center Program during the 55th Anvil Awards.
GLOBAL Business Power Corporation (GBP) is instrumental in shaping the region into what it is today and what it will become in the future. For 18 years, GBP continues to take responsibility for moving the nation forward through sustainable energy solutions in its pursuit of enlightening lives and empowering progress.
Over the years, the company has weathered the challenges it encountered and took it as an opportunity to become better. With hard work and dedication, it stood victorious as it hurdled the tests of time.
This leading power producer in Western Visayas has a total gross capacity of 1,091 megawatts (MW). It also has diversified power generation facilities capable of supplying base, intermediate, peak load, and ancillary support. GBP is also one of the few power generation companies to offer flexible energy solutions for varying power requirements.
With its aim to serve the nation with adequate, reliable, and cost-efficient power supply power requirements, the company has expanded outside the Visayas region to include a foothold in the emerging Mindanao market through a 50 percent equity stake at Alsons Thermal Energy Corporation (ATEC). ATEC owns Sarangani Energy Corporation and San Ramon Power, Incorporated. The company also ventures into the Renewable Energy Market.
This year, the Meralco PowerGen Corporation acquired an 86 percent stake in Global Business Power Corporation from the Metro Pacific Investments Corporation and JG Summit Holdings, Incorporated.
With its exemplary performance, GBP has been recognized by various award-giving bodies not only in the country but also internationally.
The following industry certifications, recognitions, and awards were received through the years:
- GBP president Jaime Azurin was recognized as one of the Outstanding Leaders in Asia during the 2020 Asia Corporate Excellence and Sustainability Awards, organized by the MORS Group;
- Silver Level Accreditation by the Investors in People and was recognized for its outstanding human resource practices;
- Silver Anvil Award for its Adopt-A-Health Center program during the 55th Anvil Awards organized by the Public Relations Society of the Philippines;
- Most Caring Companies Award by HR Asia for 2020;
- One of the Best Companies to Work for in Asia for years 2019 and 2020 by HR Asia;
- Corporate Excellence Award from Asia Pacific Enterprise Awards (APEA) in 2019;
- Sole company from the Philippines to receive the award during the 3rd ASEAN Red Ribbon for Outstanding Workplace (ARROW);
- Certificate of Exemplary Compliance with WESM Rules for 2019 and 2020 given by the Philippine Electricity Market Corporation;
- Gawad Kaligtasan at Kalusugan (GKK) National Bronze Awardee given by the Department of Labor and Employment Occupational Safety and Health Center (DOLE-OSHC);
- Mother Nature Award given by the Pollution Control Association of the Philippines, Inc. (PICAPI) in 2019;
- 2017 Excellence in Ecology and Economy (E3) Award given by the Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry (PCCI);
- GAWAD EMB Award for 2016 and 2017 given by the DENR – Environmental Management Bureau;
- DOLE Secretary’s Award of Honor;
- Labor Law compliant by DOLE-6;
- ISO 9001:2015 (Quality Management System) Certified;
- ISO 14001:2015 (Environmental Management System) Certified; and
- ISO 45001:2018 (Occupational Health and Safety Management System) Certified;
ENGR. PETRONILO R. MADRID, First Vice President – Panay Site Operations Global Business Power Corporation.
GBP president Jaime Azurin was recognized as one of the Outstanding Leaders in Asia during the 2020 Asia Corporate Excellence and Sustainability Awards
Despite challenging times and amid the pandemic, GBP continues to reach out and touch the lives of people. It carried out several programs for the welfare of its employees, their families, and the community.
These are the following:
- Work-life balance in the workplace by providing various employee engagement activities to its employees;
- Comprehensive health and wellness program to improve the well-being of the workforce;
- Strong health and safety culture. With its various programs, the company was recognized as one of the six private companies from ASEAN Member States (AMS) with excellent health and wellness program during the 3rd ASEAN Red Ribbon for Outstanding Workplace (ARROW) Award Ceremony. PEDC is the sole awardee from the Philippines. The company was nominated by the OSHC for the ARROW due to its exemplary compliance to the workplace provisions of Republic Act 11166 or the Philippine HIV and AIDS Policy Act of 2018;
- An established safe work practices and safe job procedures which made Panay Energy Development Corporation (PEDC) and Panay Power Corporation (PPC) achieved a total of 13 million safe man-hours without lost time incident (LTI);
- Involvement in preserving Mother Nature. Employees actively participate in various tree planting activities. The Environmental Team takes the lead in various environmental projects. To name a few, these are the Jaro River Clean-up Program, EcoPark Project, and the Handumaman Project in Lambunao. Iloilo City also partnered with the company on its mangrove planting project;
- Scholarship Program for its adopted barangays. As of 2021, GBP Panay Site supports 506 scholars;
- Participation to the Brigada Eskwela program of its adopted schools; and
- Social Development Program (SDP). GBP works hand-in-hand with the communities surrounding its plant facilities in order to address the specific problems they are facing. The company provides responsive solutions to community dilemmas;
This pandemic, GBP extended assistance to its adopted communities through CSR undertakings.
- Panay Energy Development Corporation and Panay Power Corporation have remitted a total of 54 million ER1-94 funds to the local government unit. The ER 1-94 is a policy under the Department of Energy Act of 1992 and the Electric Power Industry Reform Act of 2001 (EPIRA) which stipulates that host communities are entitled to financial benefits of one-centavo for every kilowatt-hour (P0.01/kWh) of the total electricity sales of generating companies to finance electrification, livelihood and development projects. Pursuant to the Department of Energy’s Department Circular No. 2020-04-0008, ER 1-94 funds can be used to help local government units in their fight against the pandemic;
- The company has distributed food packs to the local government units (LGU) of Iloilo City and to the Municipalities of Nabas and New Washington in Aklan; and
- The company recently donated computers and refurbished laptops to its adopted schools and scholars to help facilitate distance learning. These were provided to senior high school and college scholars and adopted schools while one desktop unit was given to the local law enforcement unit in Nabas, Aklan.
Energy Development Corporation and Panay Power Corporation remit 54 million ER194 funds to the local government unit.
Employees attend lecture for coronavirus disease 2019 pandemic protocols with the medical team from Iloilo City and GBP’s Human Resource and Health Team.
The company donates computers and refurbished laptops to its adopted schools and scholars to help facilitate distance learning.
Engr. Petronilo Madrid receives appreciation from Mayor Jerry Trenas as LGUs Stakeholders Partner during the coronavirus disease 2019 pandemic.
These victories and triumphs cannot be credited to the leaders alone, but also to the employees who remain committed and worked hard to fulfill its vision and mission.
The year 2021 commences the start of a brighter and faster-growing future for GBP. As it endeavors to grow in the operations and business front, it continues to boost the positive impact it creates in society. With “Passion for Excellence” as one of its corporate values, it will strive to deliver top-notch service with a heart and persist in enlightening lives and empowering progress. It will continue reaching new heights and breaking new grounds./PN